The Grand Hotel is known for its classy atmosphere, beautiful design, wonderful views, and friendly service, but now they are adding a new feather in their cap.
A USA Today reader's poll has named the Grand Hotel the best historic hotel in the country.
According to USA Today:
"Guests at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island might find themselves on rocking chairs on the world's longest porch overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. This historic hotel opened in 1887 to cater to summer vacationers from Chicago Montreal and Detroit. In 1895, Mark Twain gave lectures in the Grand Hotel Casino for $1 a ticket."
Here is the list of the top 10 our of the 20 under consideration:
- Grand Hotel - Mackinac Island, Mich.
- Mission Inn Hotel & Spa - Riverside Calif.
- The Peabody Memphis - Memphis
- The Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
- Mohonk Mountain House - New Paltz, N.Y.
- The Broadmoor - Colorado Springs
- The Don CeSar - St. Pete Beach, Fla.
- The Royal Hawaiian - Honolulu
- The American Club - Kohler, Wis.
- The Omni Homestead Resort - Hot Springs, Va.